Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Review: Indelible by Dawn Metcalf


GradeButterflies
Name: Indelible (The Twixt #1)
Author: Dawn Metcalf
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: Paperback, 384

Goodreads Summary

Some things are permanent.

Indelible.

And they cannot be changed back.

Joy Malone learns this the night she sees a stranger with all-black eyes across a crowded room—right before the mystery boy tries to cut out her eye. Instead, the wound accidentally marks her as property of Indelible Ink, and this dangerous mistake thrusts Joy into an incomprehensible world—a world of monsters at the window, glowing girls on the doorstep, and a life that will never be the same.

Now, Joy must pretend to be Ink’s chosen one—his helper, his love, his something for the foreseeable future...and failure to be convincing means a painful death for them both. Swept into a world of monsters, illusion, immortal honor and revenge, Joy discovers that sometimes, there are no mistakes.

Somewhere between reality and myth lies…

THE TWIXT



I, like many bloggers and readers, was really excited for this book to release. I was counting down the days to it's release and when it finally released I went out and bought it imminently. At first it was great! This exciting and mysterious plot was being set up and I was so excited to dive into the world of "The Twixt" and I waited and I waited and....... nothing happened. There was some really great aspects in this book that I was blown away by, but overall this book just....disappointed me.

Let me explain this with  metaphor. Imagine you are in a clearing in the middle of a huge forest, with trees towering over you, the sun is shinning through the leaves and you hear the sound of the forest. And you know that there are creatures that you've never known existed, and lands that have never been explored, and societies and kingdoms that you don't know anything about. And you want to meet those creatures, you want to explore those lands, you want to understand those societies and kingdoms, but you can't, because you are stuck in that clearing. Imagine that.

That is this book.

Dawn Metcalf starts out this book with setting up the world of the Twixt, the main character part in it, and this underlining threat of danger. Also, on top of that she flawlessly weaves this tone into it that is just addicting. By the 100th page it just stops. The plot turns into a love story, which would have been fine, but It's like the plot never escalates, and the Twixt isn't really explored. Which really disappointed me, because the main reason I wanted to read this book was that I wanted to see how the author crafted the world of the Twixt. And I ended up with a love story with a background of the Twixt.

Besides that there was another issue I had. This woman's writing style is very different. It's like a coin with one side outstanding flawless writing and the other being a difficult writing style to get through. This book can go from her writing emotions and the tone of the book with such talent that you can hear, see, practically touch what she is describing, to explanations that you have to re-read five times just to get the jest of it. It was just so confusing to read, because half the time you wanted to give this woman an award and the other half the pages where as hard as rock to get through.

I think  the worst part was how when the author was explaining about the scipes and what they do, I couldn't fully comprehend it even though I really wanted to. I would get the jest of it, but I would be so confused. If you asked me straight up about anything she explained about the Twixt in this book I couldn't answer you. Because I don't really know. I understand the jest of it, the basics, but I'm still confused on most of it.

There is a ray of light in this book. If I could rate this book soully on the Love story it would get 5 Butterflies, because that part of the book was outstanding! Because it was so tender and touch and so unique. I loved reading it, which is good considering it's most of the book. I loved the interaction between Joy and Ink, I like how it wasn't the norm of bad-boy good girl. I liked how their relationship was different (in a good way) then anything I have read. It was so outstanding and beautiful!!

I feel like I'm being to negative on this book, because really the plot was enjoyable to read, especially the beginning. It keeps you interest throughout the whole book, even when you are confused. And the romance is amazing! However, I just went into this thinking it was going to be something it wasn't and wanting it to be something it isn't. And because of that I ended up really disappointed with the plot. And I would read the second book, because I want to see if we get to see more of the Twixt. 

Would I recommend it? Yes, if you went into it knowing that it is mainly a love story, because if you go into it with expectations like mine you will end up disappointed like me.

This book got....

3 Butterflies
Basic, nothing special.



Happy reading

No comments:

Post a Comment