Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Review: Clutch by J. A. Huss


Grade: 4 Butterflies
Name: Clutch (I am Just Junco #1)
Author: J. A. Huss
Source: My Bookshelf
Publisher: Science Future Press
Pages: Paperback, 1st Edition, 320 pages

Goodreads summary

How long can you lie to yourself before it all comes apart?

In 2152 the avian race is on Earth looking for something stolen from them decades ago – their genetics. At the center of the search lies the Rural Republic; a small backwards farming country with high hopes of military domination and a penchant for illegal bioengineering.

19 year old Junco Coot is the daughter of the Rural Republic’s ranking commander. She’s the most foul-mouthed, wildly unpredictable and ruthless sniper the Rural Republic has ever trained. But when her father’s death sparks a trip into forbidden places, she triggers events that will change everything she knows to be true.

As an elite avian military officer, Tier’s mission is to destroy the bioengineering projects, kill Commander Coot’s daughter, and return home immediately. There’s just one problem. Junco isn’t who she claims to be.

With no one to trust, not even herself, Junco must confront the secrets of her past and accept her place in the future, or risk losing herself completely.




     I signed up for the book tour for the newest book in this series that. So, I needed to read these books. I was really excited to read these books, because, if you don't know, I am a sucker for assassin books. If I see a book that the main character is an assassin, without knowing anything else about the book, I will instantly want to read it. In the end I really liked this book, but the beginning had a little problems.

      I was instantly swept up in this plot, its captivating, enchanting, and gripping. Right as I start making up a list of what I have to do that day and thinking that I should stop reading, the author throws a twist that I never saw coming. I never predicted any of the plot twists in this book. Which is saying something, because I either end up predicting the major plot twist and not expect any of the smaller twists. Or I end up predicting the small plot twists and not even guessing the major one. But in this book every single plot twist was un-expected. The flashbacks, what the secrets where, what happens in the end, I never came close to guessing what they were.  

     One of the reasons I love assassin books are the action that comes with it. However, there has been some assassin books where there wasn't a lot of action. While, not every chapter in this book had action, it sure seemed like it. This book does not lack action, at all. Something always seemed to be happening, and while yes, there were some places that didn't have a lot of action, right as I start losing interest, the action would come back full force.

     One of the problems I had with this book was that I kept getting confused in places I wasn't suppose to. I got confused when people kept secrets from Junco, because she was also confused, but kept getting confused about things that were explained. For example, what are the seven siblings? What is she destined to do again? What is up with her memory loss? What the heck is a SEAR? the one that most annoyed me, because it was never really explained, even though it had a part in the plot is, what the hell is a virtual?
Even though some of these questions were explained I didn't understand what the author was trying to say.

      The biggest problem in this book was the main character. Junco really annoyed me in the first part of the book. One of the reasons I really love assassin books are the characters. When a character is an assassin they have this quality to them that I call kick butt. Their cunning, they don't let anyone play them, and they don't take crap from anyone. Junco in the first part of the book didn't have that kick butt quality to her and because of that she came across has too trusting and letting everybody play games with her.

     However, in the latter half of the book Junco remembers something that really explains why she wasn't kick butt and was so trusting.  I don't want to spoil it for you, but I want to say that if you read this and you are annoyed with Junco, keep going, because she changes into this kick butt character that I love.

    The ending was full of action and didn't really end in a cliffhanger. I really can't wait to read this second, because it has the promise of being just as, if not more action packed as this in. I also think I will like the second book better, because I hope Junco will keep being the kick butt, awesome character that I love.

    All in all, this is a gripping read that any paranormal fantasy lover will think is love. There is somethings I didn't like in it, but in the end I really liked this book and can't wait to read the sequel.

This book gets,

4 Butterflies
Beloved, This is a really good book.
Recommended if you like: Fantasy, Paranormal, Assassin's books.




Thats my review and it was harder to write then I thought it would be.
Happy Reading.











No comments:

Post a Comment