Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review: Evernight by Claudia Gray


Grade: Butterflies
Name: Evernight (Evernight #1)
Author: Claudia Gray
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: Paperback, 327


Bianca wants to escape. 

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in. 

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him. 

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would." 

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.



I read this series a long, long, long time ago and I really loved it. I loved the plot and where it was headed, I loved the romance, I basically loved everything about this series. Keep in mind this was one of the first YA book series I ever read. At that time I thought it was a masterpiece and so I've been wanting to buy and re-read this series. I got this book at a used thrift store and I read it and discovered that it wasn't as great as I once thought it was. However, I still really love it, even though I now see its flaws. And I also come to the conclusion that this series is my guilty pleasure series, because I realize it's cheesy and predictable, but yet I still love it.

This book starts out with the main character Bianca trying to run away from the academy where her parents are teachers and she has to attend. First off this is a very stupid move, why the hell would you run away when you know the nearest town is like 10 miles through a forest. Anyway the plot develops with her attending the school and romance and action happens.

The first thing I realized wasn't as great the characters where, as demonstrated up there, their kind of annoying, especially the main character. She was really annoying. If I read this book for the first time now I think that fact would have broke the book for me, but since I have a special fondness for this series I was able to overlook it.

What was the best one I first read it and that carried over to my re-read was the plot. I really loved this plot, it's fast paced, it has action, it has suspense, it has romance, it has mystery, it has paranormal. It has everything that I really love in a plot. And that shocker moment in the middle of the book I didn't see coming the first time I read, I know I wouldn't have seen it coming if this was the first time I read it. It's just a great plot.

What was the best thing about the re-read was what it is in most re-reads is how you understand the little hints the author gives you. It was fun to read that and read the dialogue for Lucas and pick up on all of those hidden meanings.

The romance in this book is really cheesy, it was coming close to being to cheesy for me, a person who eats up cheesy romances. But I still loved it, because like I said, I am a sucker for cheesy romances and forbidden love. I just love it. And this is probably the only book where I didn't really cringe at the huge cause of insta-love.

Overall, I think if I this was the first time I read this book it would have gotten below 3 stars, because it was cheesy, the characters where flat and annoying. And even though the plot was great it wouldn't have been enough to save it. But this wasn't the first time I read it and I have a fondness for it. So, I am a little baise about it,  because I still love it and it's officially my guilty pleasure. Would I recommend it? Not unless you eat up cheesy romances, if you don't then even the fantastic plot won't save this book from sinking for you.

This book gets..

 4 Butterflies
Beloved, This is a really good book.



That's it for today
Happy reading







No comments:

Post a Comment