Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Monday, June 10, 2013

Mini Review- Spartan Frost by Jennifer Estep

GradeButterflies
Name: Spartan Frost (Mythos Academy #4.5)
Author: Jennifer Estep
Source: NetGalley ARC for review
Publisher: Kensington Books

Warning: Spoilers for the first 4 books in this series, See my reviews on the third, HERE and on the fourth HERE.

Goodreads summary

I’m Logan Quinn, the deadliest Spartan warrior at Mythos Academy. At least I was — until the day I almost killed Gwen Frost.

Professor Metis and Nickamedes say that I’m fine, that Loki and the Reapers don’t have a hold on me anymore, but I can’t risk it. I can’t risk hurting Gwen again. So I’m leaving Mythos and going somewhere far, far away.

I know Gwen wonders what’s happening to me, whether I’m safe. I can’t tell her, but this is my story …





So, as I am sure you know, I love the Mythos Academy series. It's great and I love it. So, it was natural to say that when I saw that Jennifer Estep was releasing a novella in Logan's POV I was thrilled. I've been wanting to have anything, a scene and chapter, anything in his POV. It would be so great to be in Logan's head. And when I got approved on NetGalley for a review copy I was so freakin excited. And I read it within hours, but that's not a good thing. Let me tell you why, this novella was about 25 pages long. I would have been fine with this length, a little disappointed, but fine with it if it had the elements that I wanted it to have, but it didn't.

I was excited for this, because as I said, I would love to be inside Logan's head. To see what he thinks of everything. However, in this book we don't get that much internal thought on Logan's part. We don't get to see what he thinks about anything really. The only thing that he really thought about was, A) missing Gwen, but not wanting to really call her. And B) Killing the reapers and getting revenge. I was very disappointed in that.

Also, plot wise, there wasn't really a plot. I know it's a novella, but all we really get is a couple scenes and I just wanted there to be more in this novella. Don't get me wrong they where fun scenes to read, like the fight scenes in the end. It was fun to read a fight through a Sparton's eyes, I just wished there was more plot to it.

While this book was enjoyable to read, it was a huge disappointment for me, because I was expecting the author to do more with this, and she didn't. And that killed me. It's basically a few scenes that have foreshadowing for the next book and nothing else. We don't really get inside Logan's head and that was the part I wanted most in this novella. So, would I recommend this book? Yes if it's under 1$, because it's a short novella. And no if it's above 1$.

This book got....

3 Butterflies
Basic, nothing special.

Happy reading

2 comments:

  1. Aww... It is disappointing to read a book in a series and it not live up to the expectations that you had for the rest of the series. Let's hope future books make up for it! Thanks for sharing!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sucks when a book from your fav series lets you down. To the book your just like "after all we've been through".
    I really hope this isn't the start of the series going down hill. I love this series and I really don't want it to start getting bad :(

    ReplyDelete