Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Review: Silver by Talia Vance

 
Grade: 3 Butterflies
Name: Silver (Bandia #1)
Author: Taia Vance
Source: My Bookshelves
Publisher: Flux
Pages: Paperback, 374 pages

Goodreads summary

"As I step into the room, a silver flash blurs my vision. Before I can take a breath, the world falls away."

Brianna has always felt invisible. People stare right past her, including the one boy she can't resist, Blake Williams. But everything changes at a house party where Brianna's charm bracelet slips off and time stands still. In that one frozen, silver moment, Blake not only sees her, he recognizes something deep inside her she's been hiding even from herself.

Discovering she is descended from Danu, the legendary Bandia of Celtic myth, Brianna finds herself questioning the truth of who she is. And when she accidentally binds her soul to Blake, their mutual attraction becomes undeniable.

But Blake has his own secret, one that could prove deadly for them both.

Bound together by forbidden magic, Brianna and Blake find themselves at the heart of an ancient feud that threatens to destroy their lives and their love.





     So, I heard amazing things about this book from another blogger and when I saw it in Half-Priced books for 2$ I had to get it. After reading it in less then two days I didn't really know how to put my thoughts into a review. I mean, I liked it and I loved the concept, (if you don't know it has Greek mythology in it), but it had some problems and it did blow me away liked I thought it would.

     First things first, contradictory to what I said about reading it in less then a day, the plot took a while to get going, but not in the way it seems. A lot of things happen in the beginning, but it just took me awhile to get into this book. However, when I did get into it the plot really got going and it had me on the edge of my set.

     One of the biggest problems with this book for me was how the author explained things. At least to me, the author explained things in a confusing way most of the time. She would explain something and I know I was suppose to understand, but I would have to re-read that part about 7 times to understand it. I have no idea why that was, maybe it was the author writing style or maybe I just couldn't understand it, even if it was explained in another way, but whatever it was it made me so confused in parts that I couldn't follow the story in some places.

     I really liked these characters. I don't know what it is about them, but something about them was really likable. The only character I didn't like was Haley, not because she wasn't written well, she just got on my nerves. Like come on girl, not everything is about you!! I just really hated her.

     The worst of all was the ending, this goes with me being confused, but I'm saying this in a separate paragraph because it might get a little ranty. So, the ending was going good, suspense and danger, but then the author put the last thing that after reading left me saying. What. The. Heck. Happened. Someone please tell me, because I don't know, at all. I understood the basics, but what she meant, what the heck the terms were, and why the heck they did that? I for the life of me couldn't figure out.

     Overall, this book was good and enjoyable, but it wasn't something that I will still be thinking about months from now. I would recommend it for any lover of Greek mythology, like me, because the concept is something I haven't ever read about. Read this if you are in the mood for a enjoyable, but not really memorable read.

This book got...

3 Butterflies
Basic, nothing special.
Reccomened if you like: Greek mythology.


Thats my review, if you read it what did you think?
Happy reading











No comments:

Post a Comment