Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Friday, February 7, 2014

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

When going over my drafts I noticed I never published this review......I wrote it in July of 2013 and never freaking published it. I am ashamed!!! I have no excuse at all and I'm betting myself up for not pushing the publish button.But anyway, here it is. 



Grade4.5 Butterflies
Series: Throne of Glass #2
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury 
Pages: Hardcover, 420 pages

Don't read any farther if you haven't read this first book. You can see my review on Throne of Glass HERE. You can see this review since I actually published it on time!!!!


An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt.
But her heart never wavers.


After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice. 

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?




I'm going to keep this review short and sweet, because I only have a few thoughts on this book. The biggest of which is the book was so amazing!!! I didn't think that it would be able to beat the bar that Throne of Glass set, even with all the amazing ARC reviews coming out, but it did. It just blew me away!! The plot, the characters, everything was so freaking amazing!!!

You can see this book as two parts, part one  and part two. Neither part was better then the other one, I preferred one to the other, but it wasn't like "part one sucks while part two was amazing", no. I just liked part two the best. It's just that the 1st part focuses on political stuff and court life and Celaena's life as the Kings assassin. Which was great to read! I loved the first part! However, I started getting annoyed at how Celaena refused to fight or do anything against the king. I understand that she just wants a peaceful life, but I got annoyed at how she never really wanted to take a stand. However, this gets resolved in the second part, but it still annoyed me.

The Second part I liked best, because it was full of action and fighting and  a mad assassin. This part was epic! The pages just flew through your hands, it was so fast paced and you can get lost in this book. It was amazing! Also it's in this part where we get to see how much of a freaking kick butt assassin Celaena is. We got to see her fight before, but this is where we get to see why she got the title of the queen of assassins.

I loved the characters in Throne of Glass and this book made me love them more. Every single character got so much more depth in this one. Even the side characters got more depth. It was just really great to read! The best one though was Celaena's character development. You get so many flash backs into her past and learn more about her family and how she got to be the person she is now. It was just a really awesome thing to read, because with all this depth they where getting it made them feel so real. They felt like real people and you get so attached with them. This is why the cliffhanger just killed me!

This book blew me away in so many ways!! I loved Throne of Glass, but I loved this book even more! The plot was outstanding, the characters got even more real in this book, and the ending just killed me to read. If you have yet to read this series, do so now. This series is just amazing!!

This book got...

4.5 Butterflies
Beautiful, this is a great book. 

Recommended if you like: Fantasy, Books with Assassins, and a kick-butt female lead. 



Happy reading







No comments:

Post a Comment