Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows.


Grade: 5 Butterflies
Name: incarnate (Newsoul #1)
Authore: Jodi Meadows
Released: January 31st 2012 by
Source: My Bookshelf
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: Hardcover, 374 pages

Goodreads summary

New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?


**************


My Thoughts


     I had seen this book in other people's blogs and it looked pretty good. I never got it, because my library didn't have it and I am not willing to spend 20 dollars on a book that I may or may not like. When I saw that it finally released in paperback I bought it and I am so glad I did.

     I have always liked the concept of soul mates and when I first read the summary I thought it would go into that. So, I was a little disappointed that this book didn't have much to do with the concept of soul mate, but the rest of the book blew me away! Jodi Meadows spun this enchanting web that held you captive until the last page.

     The plot in this book was brilliant, just plain brilliant. It wasn't very fast paced. I was fine with that, because it was written so well that the plot still kept your attention even at the slow parts. Also it had the contemporary feel to it. What I mean is the plot had the emotional feeling to it that most of contemporary books have, mainly because this book is about the main character trying to find her place in a world that doesn't really want her to have a place. However, do not fear people who don't like those kinds of books, because this book still has the fantasy element to it and it does have action and mystery in it. Especially in the end.

     What I also liked about this plot was that it was written so well. The world building was so vivid that I could picture it in my head after just a paragraph of the world getting explained. Any author that can do that deserves a round of applause.

     Another thing I liked was how when things where getting explained the author didn't throw everything at you in a short amount of time that left your head spinning and you thinking "what she she just say?". No, it wasn't like that at all. You where given information about the world and society at a good pace throughout the whole book.

     One of the best things about this book was the characters. The main character Ana felt so broken at times, but still had this innocence in her. Which also shows how great the author is, because if you can write a character that has that has that dynamic and still have it believable then you are fantastic.

     The character development in this book was also great. I don't really talk a lot about character development in my reviews mainly because I don't often see character development in a book that is great. However, in this book it was outstanding. We start out this book with the main character Ana trying to get to the main city. When she was by herself like that you could see her strength and it shined. However, when she meets other people she hides in her shell, because she is so used to her mother physical abusing her when she says something or has an opinion. So, she thinks everyone else is going to do that to her. However, throughout this whole book you can see Ana coming out of that and becoming stronger and stronger. It was really great to read.

    One of the only bad things about this book was it took me a while to wrap my head around how the world works in this book. In this book when you die you get reincarnated into another body. So, there are 5 thousands year olds in baby's bodies. Also when you get reincarnated you don't often stay the same gender. So, you could be a man when time and the next you are a girl. It was weird at first, but I got used to it after a while.

    The last thing I got annoyed with was I would have liked more of Ana's and Sam's relationship. I loved their relationship so much. You could actually feel the chemistry this characters had for each other. I want more of it, because I loved it and just want to read more of them. Also, because I felt like the author didn't really go deep into their relationship. You could tell when reading this that Ana liked Sam and Sam liked Ana, but it didn't really go any deeper than that for their feelings. I am not saying the relationship felt shallow, I am just saying I wish Ana thought more about it and they discussed their feelings for each other more.

     All in all, this book was brilliant!!! I loved it so much!! everything was outstanding, from the characters to the world building and the writing shined throughout this whole book. I can not express how much I loved this book!! Please go and read it, because you do not want to miss out on this wonderful and fantastic book.


This book got....

5 Butterflies
Blew me away,
one of the best books I have ever read.
Recommended if you like: fantasy, great character development, and outstanding writing.



Thats my review, I hope you liked it.
Happy reading










2 comments:

  1. The sequel, Asunder is coming out this month. My library takes a minimum of three months before getting new releases. It's so infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Asunder!!!!
      I would hate it if my library was like that, I am sorry for you. I wonder why its like that?

      Delete