Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Monday, December 30, 2013

4th Annual End of Year Book Survey

best books 2013 end of year survey

I just love this survey that The Perpetual Page-Turner created. It is just so fun to do and its fun to answer the questions and see how other people answered. 


Best books of 2013...


1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

Contemporary: Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles 
Paranormal creatures: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
Paranormal: Everbound by Brodi Ashton
Dystopian: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi 
Fantasy: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas 
Re-telling: Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
Thriller: Insomnia by J. R. Johansson


2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

There have been a few books that didn't quite meet my expectations, but still really enjoyed. But I"m going to still you guys the books that really, really disappointed me this year.

Spartan Frost by Jennifer Estep. I thought I was going to love it, since it's in Logan's POV, but I didn't. It didn't give me anything I wanted and was expecting. We barely got to see Logan thoughts on anything.

Storm by Brigid Kemmer. I've heard nothing but great praise for this book. People saying it blew them away and that it was just amazing, but when I read it I didn't get any of that. I actually wonder why people thought it was that good. I didn't really like it at all.


 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

Everbound by Brodi Ashton. I didn't absolutely love the first one, so I didn't think I would love this book as much as I did. But holly crap this book was amazing!!!

Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. I didn't think I was going to like this, because I was and still am so sick of vampire books, but this one blew me away!! I loved it so much!


 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay. I know I just read this one not that long ago, but I loved this book and I want everyone to read it!

Divergent by Veronica Roth. I loved this book and I've been recommending it to people who haven't read it yet. I even tried to get some people in my life who don't really read to give this book a shot, especially with the movie releasing soon.


 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Does manga count? I'm counting it.
The Black Butler series by Yana Toboso. This series...holy crap this series is amazing!! I am obsessed with it!!! It is so good!!!


6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

J. R. Johnsonn author of Insomnia. This lady can write some freaking terrifying scenes. She can set a mood and write such a vivid scene that it is amazing to read her book!

Jodi Meadows author of Incarnate. This author can write such amazing stories!! Her writing style is just so captivating and the characters she creates are just so complex and life like that it is amazing!!! 


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

I don't really have a comfort zone per say. I kind of read a little bit of every genre, of course I have the genres I prefer, but I don't stick sully to those. 

That being said I would have to answer this with Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent. This is because it is in the adult genre and I rarely read outside YA. This is literally one of the only non YA books I've read this year. A little sad, I know. 


 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse. This book was just so full of action and suspense. 

Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I had to know what happened next. If I was reading a page I HAD to know what was going to happen on the next one. I was and still am completely obsessed with this book!


9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

There is a lot for this answer, so I wouldn't go into detail, just know that all of these where really good.

Dark Triumph by Robin LeFevers.
Unravel me by Tahereh Mafi.
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick.
Cinder by Marissa Meyer. 
Incarnate by Jodi Meadows.


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?



11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

So many characters for this answer! Um............Sebastian from the Black Butler series. He is such a dynamic, complex, mysterious, and dangerous character that you can't help but remember him. Even if you don't like him you will remember him. 


 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Defiantly Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. Her writing is just breathtaking!


13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee


 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. I heard some amazing things about this when it first came out in 2012, but I never picked it up until this year. I loved it!!! I wish I read it earlier!


 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

I read some really good quotes and passages this year, but I'm not the type to memorize them or even write them down. So I leave you with a very small quote from the Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. 

"'Go back?' He thought. 'No good at all!! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!


16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this year that was the shortest and longest.

Shortest: Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi
Longest: Grave Mercy by Robin LeFevers, 549 pages

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

The Ending of Everbound by Brodi Ashton. Holy crap!!! If you've read this you know what I mean. 


18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Katy and Deamon from the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. These two are just so cute together!


19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. I loved her Iron Fey series, but this one blew me away!! It was so amazing! 


20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else

Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It seemed like everyone was telling me to read this. That plus all the raving reviews I saw about it I just had to read it. And it was so amazing!!


21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Paranormal.


22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Sebastian from the Black Butler series by Yana Toboso. 


23. Best 2013 debut you read?

Splintered by A. G. Howard. This was an amazing read!! I loved it!

Insomnia by J. R. Johansson. Just a fantastic read! It was outstanding!!!


24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Splintered by A. G. Howard. This author knows how to right a scene so the readers can see, hear, even smell what is happening. The world in this book was just so vivid.

Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins. I didn't really think of this until I read this question, but this series is really vivid. You have such a clear picture of what is happening in scenes throughout the whole book.


25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It was such a fun time to see how the author retold this fair tale, but at the same time make it her own. 


26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout. This author is not afraid to kill off characters. 

If I stay by Gayle Forman. This was such a devastating story. what happened to the main character was just so unfair and terrible that I couldn't help but cry in some parts. 


27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

Insomnia by J. R. Johnsonn. This was such an amazing read and I loved it so much!! And it was sad to see how few people read it. If you are looking for a great read for the new year, read. this. one!

Book Blogging/Reading life....

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
I can't really say. There are just to may great blogs I discovered this year that I can't pick it. 


2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
I can't really answer this, since I'm a little biased being the one to write the review. 


3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I don't know, I seriously can't answer this. 


4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
To many to pick from. I've read so many great discussions this year that I can't answer this. 


5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The Bout of Books read-a-thon earlier this year. This is always fun to participated in.


6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
I don't honestly know. There have been so many amazing moments that I can't pick one. 


7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Most views: My Predictions and Hopes (3).
Most comments: Any of my Stacking the Shelves. 


8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Any of my reviews. I love talking about books and I feel like this is the perfect post to do just that with, but they don't get as much views and comments as my meme posts do. 


9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
YA Book Exchange. I love how you can trade books you don't want with books you do want. 



10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I did a lot of challenges, but sadly I haven't finished any of them.



Looking Ahead.....


1. One Book You Didn't Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Just to name a few..........
Asunder by Jodi Meadows.
The Eternity Cure by Juli Kagawa.
Crash Into Me by Katie McGarry


2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi. I can't wait to see how this series ends!!


3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Alienated by Melissa Landers


4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Ignite Me bu Tahereh Mafi
Evertrue by Brodi Ashton
Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout


5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Lots, to many to say in this post. 


Happy 2014 Reading

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an amazing reading year! I too loved Origin, My Life Next Door, and Divergent. I haven't read the Black Butler manga, but I've tried a few anime episodes and Sebastian definitely stuck in my mind. I'll have to add that to my manga queue. Have a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really did have a great reading year, I hope this year is just as good. And I hope you also have a great reading year :D.
    I love Black Butler! It is amazing!!
    Thank you and happy 2014 reading to you as well :D

    ReplyDelete