Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Series Review: The Goddess Test series



Book 1| 4 Butterflies
Book 2| 4 Butterflies
Book 3| 4.5 Butterflies
Series| 4 Butterflies

Book 1
My Review HERE

Goodreads Summary 
Every girl who had taken the test has died.
Now it's Kate's turn.
It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld - and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy - until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.
If she fails...
There will be spoilers for book 1 in this summary. Not in the review but in this summary.
 Book 2
My Review HERE

Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.
As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.
Henry's first wife, Persephone.
There will be spoilers for books 2 in this summary. Not in the review but in this summary.

 Book 3
My Review HERE

Goodreads Summary
Love or life.
Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.


During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.


Book 1:
While this book didn't meet all my expectations, it was still enjoyable. I really liked the direction this plot took. I thought it was really inventive and unique. I liked the tests and seeing all of the Greek Gods. It wasn't all that fast paced, but it still captured and  kept my attention.

I did feel a little bit disconnected with the romance in this one. Henry was a good guy I guess, but I never swooned over him. He was just there. I could see why Kate fell for him, but at the same time I didn't feel really invested with their relationship.

The characters were also really good. They were written well in my mind, but I just didn't feel that they grew in this book. We didn't get much character development in this book, but they weren't depthless. They still had some depth and they were enjoyable to read. I also really liked Kate in this one. I loved how devoted she was to her mother and how far she would go to save her. I really admired that trait in her.

Book 2:
So, in my mind, this book had some problems, but some improvements to the story as well. I still really liked Kate and I really felt for her in this one. Even though she's been an immortal for 6 months she was still thrown into this world and she really tried her best to adjust. She basically knows nothing about this world and yet she still puts her best effort to adjust to it. That would be hard too do, especially since I don't think any of the gods, Henry included, tried to help her.  And then with the arrival of Persephone I really felt sorry for her. 

However, even though I liked Kate I still wanted to throttle her on several occasions throughout this book. You really thought that you would get a stable marriage? Even if you love him and he loves you, you were his last resort. It was you or death. Not only that but you also didn't have time after the 'marriage' to build the marriage. You really thought you were going into a stable relationship? really Kate? Sometimes you need to build that stability, it just doesn't just come out of love.

I liked how we got to see more of the world and the underground. We finally get to see something other then that mansion and it was great. I think that made the world feel more real to me, which is always a plus. I just love reading about Greek Mythology worlds, so it's no surprise that the world was the best part of this book. 

Book 3:
I loved this book!! I know a lot of people hated it because of how Kate was, but I still loved it. I loved the plot, the characters got so much better, and it was just really good.

I loved this plot! I loved the twist that Kate got pregnant because that made everything more dangerous and serious. Now she had to take care of her baby, not just her. However, I am  little disappointed that it just skipped to the end of her capture. The book just skipped over the 9 months of her being held prisoner and I would have liked to have been introduced to this book at the beginning of her captured. I would have like to see at least some of when she was pregnant and how she was treated.  But the plot was still really good even with that.

I also want to comment on Kate's character. A lot of people don't like her because she doesn't really fight. She's more of a sacrificing person than a 'fight and hope that everything works out' person. A lot of people were annoyed at this and so was I in some degree. However, that is Kate. She is that type of person and I appreciated that the author created her outside of the regular YA girl mold. I liked  how she had a noticeable flaw to her character. Usually authors put a admirable flaw to their characters, like stubbornness, but Aimee Carter made her character have a different flaw then most YA characters. So, even though I was annoyed with Kate, I still loved that her character felt realistic because of her flaw. 

Overall:
I really enjoyed this series! The first two book were enjoyable, but the last one was freaking great in my mind. I know a lot of people didn't like this series, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the direction the plot went, the characters could have used more depth in the first two, but they were still good, and the world was really great. I love Greek mythology books and this one didn't disappoint. It had its flaws, but overall it was an enjoyable series. 


Those are my views on this series, what were yours?
Happy reading







No comments:

Post a Comment