Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Harry Potter Month: My Introduction to Harry Potter

I saw Lee over at Rally the Readers share her story of how she was introduced to Harry Potter and Alex from The Book Banner. I loved the idea of sharing our stories of how we were introduced to the series and decided to share my story as well.


So, when I was a kid I loved reading, I have basically loved reading since I learned how. So, with that you probably think I started reading Harry Potter as soon as book 1 came out and I've followed it until book 7 and watched all the movies as soon as they came out. That would be both right and wrong. I did watch all of the movies as soon as they came out because my Mom loved Harry Potter and she would constantly try and get me to read it. However, at that age I was very much a hipster and I only wanted to read unknown books so I could say how great these books were that nobody knew *rolls eyes at my past self*. I was a big silly back then. So, I never read the books until they all had come out and the Order of the Phoenix movie was releasing, but I'll get back to that.

Now, you might be wondering how watching the first movie didn't instantly make me want to read all of the books. I was such a big hipster I just didn't want to read the books, I wanted to hate the story. So, when I went to the theaters with my Mom instead of watching it I took a nap. Now put down those pitchforks and torches, you must remember I was very young at this time. I was like 4. Heck, I watched the first movie before I turned into that hipster reader, or even a reader, that came later, like when I was 7. But for all of the movies until the fifth I didn't really pay attention because I didn't want to like it *rolls eyes so hard at my past self*.

Then when I was like 10 or 11 I went to daycare during the day. The lady who ran the daycare was another huge reader and Harry Potter fan. When she learned I had never read the Harry Potter series even though I was a fellow book nerd she was determined to get me to read them. I finally accepted when she offered to lend me her copies which I knew was a big deal because she coveted her first edition hardcovers, she wouldn't let anyone near them let alone borrow them. So, I went home and read them all in less than two weeks. All seven books in less than 14 days, I powered through them, even the Order of the Pheonix. Looking back at it now I wish I took my time because I read them so fast that I really didn't get an understanding for the story. I read them fast not necessarily because I was in love but because I wanted to say I read them all in two weeks *urggg, I did not like past reader me*. So Because I had such a vendetta against them for so many years and because I read them so fast, I didn't fall in love with the story when I finished the series *hides behind my desk to avoid the pitchforks *. I was so determined to be outside the norm that I forced myself to hate them.

Looking back now I am really annoyed with my past self. I was such a big silly because a couple of years later between the Deathly Hallows movies I had this urge to re-read the series so I could understand what was happening better. When I did this I was over my hipster phase and I went into the re-read with a clear head and low expectations because I just remembered not really liking the books. I instantly feel in love with book 1 and again read them all in like 3 weeks, but this time it was because I was in love and I read them slow enough to grasp a lot more information. It was at this time that I realized what a hipster I once was and how I kind of forced myself not to like this series. I got so freaking mad at myself when I realized this because the movies were almost all over and I felt like no one would want to talk to me about Harry Potter anymore. I felt like I missed the Hogwarts Express and I was screwed. Obviously I was wrong *gestures to Harry Potter month* and I am so glad I was because I love Harry Potter so much and it would suck if I couldn't really talk about it with anyone!

That was my long story of how I was introduced to HP and went from hating to loving it.
Happy Reading






7 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad you finally came to your sense ;)
    I got into the books the same year that you did, and I saw all the movie up to OotP before reading the books. I liked the books and the movies but it was more of my sister's thing. It wasn't until I reread them that I fell completely in love with the world and characters and every written word.
    I'm glad that you gave Harry Potter another chance. Thanks for sharing your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love this. I love that you realized what a big deal it was to let you borrow those so you did at least read them. I can understand not wanting to like something just because everyone else does. I used to think I wanted to be unique and dislike all the things everyone else loved and that was before hipsters were a thing LOL. Now I know we are all unique no matter what. I am so glad you gave them a chance and did end up loving them. It hurts my heart a little to think of someone not loving this series :D I also posted My Introduction to Harry Potter today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah Oh past hipster Kimberly! I know what you mean though when you're young and want to be different XD I shared my intro to HP last year but in short, I was introduced to the series through the movies and back then I was in a HUGE LotR phase so when I saw the first two HP films, I was unimpressed. So much so that I didn't want to go on with the series O.O It took a few years and a few friends bugging me but finally I saw the movies again, this time 1-3 and they won me over so I went straight for the books and fell in love :) It's funny how we all got into the series in such different ways but our love for it now is what brought us together ♥ Thanks for sharing your story! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading your post, lol! If my friend hadn't asked me to go see the first movie with her, I really don't know when, or even if, I would have realized on my own that HP is a MUST-READ series! I'm glad that you eventually did discover your love for it, and that we're all here now to fangirl over it with you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex @ The Book BannerJuly 17, 2015 at 2:47 PM

    Your story is a gem! You were very silly when you were younger. I feel like I could have easily been you had I picked the books up at a different time in my life. I'm glad you came to your senses. ;) The good thing about your story is that there will always be someone out there who will want to talk about Harry Potter. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your post and your honesty in sharing your story. We don't judge you, and even when you're not being a contrary hipster ;) sometimes, a book just isn't the right thing at the right time - the first time I tried to read Game of Thrones I wasn't interested at all and DNF'd the first book, but the second time I was hooked instantly. I don't think it matters how or when you got into Harry Potter, all
    that matters is that you did, and we'll definitely always want to talk
    Harry Potter with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, awww I hope you aren't too mad at yourself now. I know I was actually the last of my friends to start reading Harry because I had similar preconceived notions to you. What fools we were!! Ah well, good thing we saw the errors of our ways in the end :D

    ReplyDelete