Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky



Grade: 3 Butterflies
Name: First Comes Love
Author: Katie Kacvinsky
Released: May 8th 2012
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Page Amount: Hardcover, 198 pages

Goodreads Summary



Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl always searching for what's next, seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving and besides, opposites attract.

What starts as friendship, turns into admiration, respect and caring, until finally these two lone souls find they are truly in love with each other.

But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they're going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you're sorry.

*******************
 

My Thoughts


     I was in the mood for a light, fun, and short read to kick off the new year. That was what I got in this book, it was fun and had that summery feel to it and it was just a light read. I am going to tell you guys something that I just realized about myself and that is I don't really give light and fun books high ratings. It's because they just feel like an average book with nothing special about them and that is why this book is only getting three butterflies. While, yes I enjoyed this book and it made me laugh so hard in places, it just didn't seem to have something that popped in it a, something that made it different from all of the other books that you typically read in summer. The writing was fine, the characters enjoyable (except for this one, but I'll talk about that later), and the plot was really fun and fast paced. It's just nothing really special.

    The only real problem I had with this book was the character of Dylan. She was such a unique character that it was really hard to grasp how I felt about her. In one page I loved her attitude on life and then next I hated how she viewed this one thing. Then the next chapter I felt like she was stringing Gray along and she didn't love him as much as he loved her, then the next chapter it felt like she loved him more then he loved her. In the end I liked her, but overall she was a really confusing character.

    Also I feel the need to say this, and it is that this book had its serious moments. The plot would bring up these questions that really made you think about them. However, those moments weren't to serious where it brought the book down, the book still felt really light and fun. I just felt like I should tell you guys that, so if you read this you know that it had its moments of seriousness.

    Overall, this was a really fun and summery contemporary book, but nothing more. If you want to read or like those kinds of books, then I would recommend this one.

This book got...


3 Butterflies
Basic, nothing special.
Recommened if you like: Short and fun books.



Thats my review, I hope you like it
Happy reading






No comments:

Post a Comment