Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth




Grade: 5 Butterflies
Name: Divergent
Series: the Divergent series
Author: Veronica Roth
Released: 5/3/2011
Publisher: Harpercollins
Page Amount: 576

                         Goodreads summary




In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.






         Background

      I was really late reading this book. I heard so many people raving and obsessing over this book, but it took me awhile to read the summary. When I did it was so vague that I didn't buy the book. However a little while ago I saw a review that shed some light on what is was about. So, after reading the review, I needed, NEEDED to get this book. And so, finally I did, and I was hooked from page one. It was that good.
       In this world there are five factions; the selfless, the honest, the peaceful, the brave, and the intelligent. When you turn sixteen you have to go to the choosing ceremony. The choosing ceremony is where you choose what faction you will live in the rest of your life.
      This story is about a girl named Beatrice living with the consequences of the choice she made. That is all I can really tell you without giving the plot away.


                   My thoughts


Story: 
   The first couple of chapters in this book make you think it's like every other dystopian novel out there. However, as the story goes on it becomes more and more unique. I loved the plot line in this book. It was really fast paced, and it had a lot of twists and turns I did not see coming. However, there where some twists that were very predictable, like who Four was. Come on, I can't be the only one who figured that out.
   One thing I have mixed emotions about is the relationship between Tris ( or Beatrice) and Four. What I mean is, the relationship felt like it was off to the side almost. What I mean by that, is so many dystopian books are about forbidden love or fighting for love, and this book was about neither of them. I felt sad and happy about that. I was sad because I like books where the characters are fighting for love, but at the same time it made the story so much more original.  All in all, this is an awesome first book in a series.


Characters:
      The characters in this book where really awesome. The character development for almost all of the characters ( even the sub characters) was really awesome. Tris was raised to basically hide her true personality, but as the story goes on she reveals more of her personality, which was really great to read. However there where some times ( not a lot of times) that I felt disconnected to her character, but other than that Tris was a really great character. All the other characters in this book where great to read too. All in all, the characters in this book where wonderful.


Writing:
       Mrs. Roth is now one of my favorite authors. The writing in this book was one of the best I have read in a long time!! She explained everything in such a clear voice. I was never confused on the stuff I wasn't supposed to be confused on, which is really hard to do in dystopian novels. All in all, Veronica Roth is one of the best authors I have read.


Ending:
      This ending left my head spinning and my eyes watering. It took me awhile to process the whole thing. Now I need, NEED the next book in the series! I need it NOW!  All in all, it was an awesome ending that sets up the second book great.
                                
                                   
                                    ***********************
Overall:
        It was a really awesome book with awesome characters, fantastic story line, great writing, and an ending that left my head spinning.
                                  **********************


This book got..


5 Butterflies.
Blew me away, one of the best books ever.














Thats was my review, I hope you liked it.
Happy reading.















No comments:

Post a Comment