Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Review: Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Grade4.5 Butterflies
Series: Mistborn
Author: Brandon Snaderson
Publisher: Tor Books
Pages: Mass Paperback, 647 pages

Goodreads Summary

 Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangled the land.

He failed.

For a thousand years since, the world has been a wasteland of ash and mist ruled by the immortal emperor known as the Lord Ruler. Every revolt has failed miserably.

Yet somehow, hope survives. Hope that dares to dream of ending the empire and even the Lord Ruler himself. A new kind of uprising is being planned, one built around the ultimate caper, one that depends on the cunning of a brilliant criminal mastermind and the determination of an unlikely heroine, a street urchin who must learn to master Allomancy, the power of a Mistborn.


I've heard about this one a while ago and when I went on vacation I thought I would buy it and read it. I had no idea what I was getting into. I loved this book!! It was so freaking amazing that it has become one of my favorite fantasy I've read. I just loved it and everything in it!! I loved the world, I loved the characters, I loved the plot, I loved everything in this book!! Brandon Sanderson is an amazing writer!!

The story line in this book was really captivating and enchanting. It wasn't constantly fast paced, there were places where the pace was really fast, but it wasn't always like that. Even though is wasn't always fast paced the plot still grabbed your attention and demanded that you read it in every second that you have available.  I was really blown away by this plot. It was just so.......amazing! The only minor problem I had with this story is I guessed the Lord Rulers secret about 200 hundred pages before the ending. However, This didn't hinder my reading experience. I was actually rooting Vin on to figure it out during the ending. I think that's because of how much I loved her character.

Besides that I had no problems with this story. No other problems at all. I loved reading this story, it was so inspiring and amazing to read. Some actions of some characters (vague I know but I don't want to spoil people) where really inspiring. Even though I was crying my eyes out with what his plan turned out to be (people who've read this know what I mean) it still really warmed my heart and blew me away!

The world building in this book was phenomenal!! Brandon Sanderson is a genius at writing worlds. It was so great that I could visualize and see this world with so much detail. I could practically see the buildings and see the battles and see the cities. Why this book was so great was mainly because of this world building. This book has some of the best world building I have ever read. Not only the world building, but also the mood. Brandon Sanderson wrote the tone of this book so well. I could almost feel the hopelessness of the people and the world coming from these pages and it takes a great writer to do that.

The last thing I want to talk about is the characters. I loved these characters!! They felt so real!! They felt like real people and they had so much depth that it was brilliant!! I just loved reading about them and reading from their point of views. I can't wait to read the next one just to read more about them!! The only slight problem I had was with Vin. I thought that for much of this book she was a really naive girl. And I got so annoyed with her in so places. I am really glad her character developed towards the end because she was really annoying there for a while.

I loved this book so much!! It was an amazing fantasy and I can't wait to read the next one and see what else happens in this story! I would recommend this to any fantasy lover. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a first time fantasy reader. If this would be your first epic fantasy read I wouldn't recommend it. I feel like it was pretty heavy on the writing and plot for a first time fantasy read. If you are a first time fantasy reader I would recommend either Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas or Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder.

This book got...
4.5 Butterflies
Beautiful, this is a great book. 



Happy reading









2 comments:

  1. Awesome review Kimberly!! It is great to read about characters that you can connect to and it seems this book did that to you and more!! I'm going to look into this one!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Kim! Once you finish this series you'll be flabbergasted lol and I recommend reading The Way of Kings afterwards :P

    ReplyDelete